Tuesday, September 29, 2009

And it was good.

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. Romans 8:28

I really thank God that today we drove 2 hours out of the city to our field site to find that the water level of the creek had risen so much that there was no way I could safely cross it. This was after discovering the lock had rusted so that the key wouldn't work in it so I had to climb through a hole in the fence. Basically a whole day was wasted- 4 hours driving total and I couldn't check my experiments, I couldn't help my colleague bring her tanks back to the lab, and I couldn't decant excess contaminated water from my experiments. I REALLY THANK GOD FOR THIS.

Why? Wasn't my day stuffed?

A couple of Wednesdays back I started feeling upset in my tummy. That Friday I went out in the field to help collect sediments from a fire-affected site. My tummy started feeling really upset. By the time we then drove to my experiment to rescue it from being flooded, I was secretly wanting to die, that's how much it hurt. The pain lessened on Saturday, and for the following week it was generally okay. My tummy felt tight, like I'd pulled a muscle, on the right side. Sometimes the pain spread, and often when I felt hungry I found I couldn't eat very much without feeling ill. It was mostly a background ache that occasionally made my hip sore.

I started feeling sicker again yesterday, so when I found out field work was postponed I bit the bullet and got it checked out. They're still running tests. Today I also woke up feeling sick. It's now causing my ribs to hurt.

I thank God because I really don't know how well I could have handled a full day of heavy lifting. Even dragging my wader-wearing body through fast waters would have been strenuous. God has protected me and kept me out of a situation my body may not have been able to handle. Yay! He is cool =)

No comments: